Weight loss is a very personal journey for everyone, and stepping on a scale is one of the hardest parts of this process. And, even though weight fluctuates daily and is not an indicator of health, tracking your weight is important to track your fitness and even in the treatment of an illness.
Evolution of the Bathroom Scales
With the evolution of technology and the advent of smart homes, bathroom scales have jumped in this progress as well. Now we have smart scales that can give you so much more than just your body weight, like fat or muscle percentages, and sync into your phone for better tracking of your health journey.
But, with all the fancy features these smart scales have, it can be overwhelming if you’re looking to purchase one, especially if you’re not familiar with the various models on offer. So we’ve created this list to help you determine the right option for your personal needs.
Things to look for in a smart scale
First, we’ll tell you a little bit about the characteristics you should look out for in a smart scale. We have recommendations, but it’s ultimately up to you to choose the option that fits into your personal needs. For example, maybe you value weight accuracy above price or brand reputation, and that’s what you have to take into consideration. Here are some things to look out for:
- Price: this is a no-brainer. One of the first things we look for when buying any item is the price. For some people, this is the last thing they look at and focus more on the quality of the product. But, for the majority of us, a good price in relation to the quality and the features is crucial.
- Weight accuracy: with smart scales and all of its amazing features, it’s easy to forget that a scale’s primary function is to measure your weight. The accuracy with which the scale gives your weight is something that is not always a given, and it should be one of the top qualities it must have.
- App functionality: one of the main differences that makes smart scales unique is the ability to connect to your smartphone via Bluetooth or to the cloud via WiFi. This offers significant advantages, like being able to track your progress through time with an app. If this is a key feature, make sure that the connection to smartphones or home router is reliable.
- Features: what other features does your smart scale offer? Surely, it must do much more than just give you your body weight. How accurately does it measure your fat or muscle percentages? What about water and calories? This is useful data to see if your lifestyle changes are having results.
- Reviews: when looking for any product, it’s always useful to take a look at the reviews. What past customers have to say about the product reflects much more truthfully its functionality and quality than the product’s descriptions. You can be sure that reviews by people who used the product won’t be sugar-coated.
- Brand: a reputable brand is another big part of researching with any product, not only for smart scales. How long have they been selling weight-related products? How good are the other products they sell? Are they highly-rated by their customers? All things to take into consideration.
- Appearance: lastly, we have maybe the strongest recommendation. Even though it has nothing to do with the quality of the product, appearance and design is an important thing to consider. Does the color go with your home decoration? Is it too bulky and takes too much space? Is it appealing to the eye? It may surprise you how much less you will use a product if it isn’t designed well.
The 8 Best Smart Scales
1. Fitbit Aria 2 Wi-Fi Smart Scale – EDITOR’S CHOICE
Our first choice is the Fitbit Aria 2. This smart scale measures not only your body weight, but also your body fat percentage, lean mass, and BMI, which gives you a complete health journey tracking system. These stats sync up to your computer or smartphone, so you can have your progress anywhere you go automatically.
This smart scale can be used by up to 8 people at the same time, while individual stats are kept private at all times. This is a convenient feature for a smart scale to be used by families or room-mates.
While the majority of the users have had a great experience with the syncing process and connection to Wi-Fi, some users have reported troubles. To overcome connectivity issues, we recommend updating the FitBit app in order for the scales to function correctly.
- Bodyweight, body fat percentage, lean mass, and BMI measuring
- Syncs stats automatically to your smartphone or computer via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth
- Up to 8 users at the same time, keeping stats private.
- Available in black or white
At the time of writing, the Fitbit Aria 2 has limited availability depending on region.
2. Withings/Nokia Body Cardio Smart Scale – HEART RATE SENSOR
The runner-up in this list is the Withings/Nokia’s smart scale. Many have deemed this smart scale fairly accurate and easy to use, which are alway good. Some of the information it provides include weight, body fat, water percentage, muscle and bone mass, and standing heart rate, so it offers information that can be helpful not only for weight loss but for other health conditions as well.
This scale was designed for family use. It has a pregnancy tracker and a baby mode, so every member of the family can have their health monitored. Oh, did I mention it also tell you about the weather? Yes, it comes complete with weather forecast so you can decide if the weather is good for a morning run. If you do not need the heart rate tracker especially if you already have a smart watch that does that then opt for the Withings Body+. Withings Body+ is also a body composition WiFi scale minus the heart rate sensor, also featured here.
- Tracks progress about weight, body fat, water percentage, muscle and bone mass, and standing heart rate.
- Multi-user for up to 8 people. Also has pregnancy tracker and baby mode.
- Digital display offers plenty of information at a glance.
- Automatic sync to smartphones (iOS and Android) via Wi-Fi. It’s compatible with more than 100 fitness and health apps.
- It has a daily weather forecast.
3. Withings Body+ WiFi Body Composition Smart Scale – GREAT ALL-ROUNDER
The second Withings smart scale in our list, the Withings Body+ is much cheaper than the Withings Body Cardio above with only one difference. It does not come with a heart rate sensor. This is perfect for those who already have wrist band fitness tracker or smart watch with heart rate sensor built in.
The Withings Body+ supports both WiFi and Bluetooth and when paired with free Health Mate app, it can track up to 8 users, taking measurements such as weight and BMI. And, like the Body Cardio, it also gives you weather forecast and activity report as well as full body composition analysis. Use this with MyFitnessPal to perform food tracking to combine your fitness stats with your diet and eating habits.
- Full body composition readings (weight, body fat, water percentage, muscle and bone mass.
- Compatible and syncs with other health and fitness apps (Apple Health, Fitbit and Google Fit).
- Support up to 8 users. The scale has the ability to automatically recognise the user.
- Comes with pregnancy tracker and baby mode, perfect for the whole family.
Garmin offers a good option for smart scales as well. It provides an impressive amount of measurements, such as BMI, body fat, water percentage, and muscle and bone mass, so it has the complete package for tracking your health journey.
Positive reviews praise the accuracy and easy synchronization via Wi-Fi or Garmin USB ANT Stick. Another impressive feature is the night readable display, with extra-large numbers against a black background, improving visibility and readability. Also, it allows for up to 16 people, double the amount the majority of smart scales do here.
One downfall we would like to point out is that the scale only works with a Garmin Connect account, so it would be a better choice if you already have other Garmin devices.
- Measures body weight, BMI, fat and water percentages, muscle, and bone mass.
- Connection to smartphones via Wi-Fi or Garmin USB ANT Stick (not included).
- Tracks up to 16 users.
- Night readable display.
If you want accuracy, nothing comes close to smart scales from Omron. The medical device company’s Omron VIVA Bluetooth Smart Scale is clinically validated for accuracy. Key parameters offered include visceral fat, fat and skeletal muscle, resting metabolism, BMI and ultimately weight. You can scroll through all the measurements using the soft touch buttons and large LCD display. Use the Omron connect app to sync and track the data and share your progress.
- Clinically Validated Accuracy of key parameters that allow you to better understand your heart’s health (visceral fat, fat and skeletal muscle) and are proven to be predictive for cardiovascular events.
- Measures the Visceral Fat – an adipose tissue that is accumulated in an abdominal area, surrounding internal organs. Excess of visceral fat can change the way your body functions and has large impact on your health.
- Improve your wellbeing and stay in control, monitoring 6 precise body metrics: Visceral Fat, Fat, Skeletal Muscle, Resting Metabolism, BMI and Weight.
- Easily track and share your progress with the “OMRON connect” app – an ecosystem including OMRON’s Blood Pressure Monitors
6. Omron KARADA Scan Body Composition Scale – WHOLE BODY READING
The Omron HBF-375 Karada Scan Body Fat Analyzer is imported from Japan, and reviewers love how accurate and easy to use it is. It comes with the batteries it uses, so it’s very convenient, and also comes with a body fat monitor. The scale saves perfectly the users’ stats with dates and all the information needed to track your health progress.
One negative feature customers pointed out repeatedly is that the instructions may come only in Japanese, so setting it up can be tricky if you need extra information. However, this is not the case for every purchase. It also does not come with a companion app. Everything you need to know is on the display. The display is found on a retractable unit with two grip electrodes.
To take a whole body reading, step on the unit barefooted over the foot electrodes. Pull up the retractable unit with your hands on the grip electrodes and arms raised horizontally and extended straight, 90 degrees to your body.
- Measures visceral fat, body fat, body weight, skeletal muscle percentage and subcutaneous fat percentage.
- Has memory support for up to 4 users and stores the readings for up to 90 days to track your progress
- Comes with a body fat monitor, 4 AA batteries, and instructions.
- No need for WiFi, smartphone or app. Just step on the analyzer, hold up the grip electrodes and get all your readings on the display.
7. InBody H20N Smart Full Body Composition Analyzer Scale – WHOLE BODY READING
The InBody H20N smart scale is also a full body composition analyzer. The handlebar electrodes measure the whole body which results in more accurate results. The mobile InBody app is automatically synced with the scale, and is compatible with either iOS or Android via Bluetooth.
The app has a fun setup, where you can set goals and compete with friends. Some customers don’t enjoy the fact that it only works with smartphones and not computers, but this is up to personal taste. Like the Omrom unit above, the inBody H20N also comes with grip electrodes handle bar. This gives a more accurate whole body assessment for consistent full body composition results everytime.
The handle is retractable and becomes part of the scale, hidden away when not in use.
- Monitors weight, measure muscle growth, track body fat loss and calculate BMI.
- Fun and user-friendly InBody mobile app that syncs via Bluetooth, available for iOS or Android smartphones.
- Unlimited user tracking on the app, track and gain insights to your progress.
- Utilizes Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis to measure body composition.
8. QardioBase2 WiFi Smart Scale and Body Analyzer – RECHARGEABLE
Lastly, we have the QardioBase2 WiFi smart scale. Also a body composition analyzer, including BMI calculation, and muscle, body fat, water, and bone composition. You can easily set it up via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth to the free Qardio app, as well as syncing to several other health apps, to track your progress with the app you want.
This is a rechargeable scale and comes with a USB cable with which you can charge your scale, lasting up to 12 months. This takes out the annoying task of repurchasing batteries.
- Measures fat, muscle, water, and bone composition, as well as BMI.
- Set-up via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth, and works with many different health apps, including Apple Health, Samsung Health, My Fitness Pal, and Google Fit.
- Rechargeable, and comes with a USB cable. One charge lasts 12 months.
- Allows up to 8 users.
BONUS: YUNMAI Premium Smart Body Composition Scale – AFFORDABLE
This Bluetooth smart body composition scale uses Bioelectric Impedance Analysis to spit out ten different health measurements. It is super thin measuring only 17mm near the edges and has a multifunctional LCD backlit display offering instant to key measurements. The companion YUNMAI app is compatible with all major fitness tracking platforms and the scale can be used to track up to 16 different users, which should be enough for every member of the family.
- Accommodates up to 16 family members/users, keeping personal data private using own phone individually to check body measurements
- YUNMAI App syncs with Apple Health, Fitbit, Google and more
- Quick five second setup, offers 10 health measurements which includes weight, body fat, muscle rate, water, bone mass, visceral fat, BMR, BMI, protein and body age using Bio-Impedance Sensors.
The FitBit Aria 2 is a great choice for anyone who wants to start keeping track of their weight loss and health journey. Testimonies from customers have shown that this smart scale can be used for tracking your stats, be it for weight loss, or to keep track of any health condition you may have. A great investment, worth every penny it costs.
Overall, the selection of a smart scale is very personal. We hope we have given you an idea on what features to look for, and to understand the information you’ll read online, but ultimately, the choice is yours.